Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Visiting in St. Louis

Carolyn and I have had some busy days while here in St. Louis, but I'll try to keep the recounting short.  Monday we visited the Cahokia Indian mounds over in East St. Louis.  These are the remnants of a civilization that lived in the area around 400 to 1000 AD.  It was a very prosperous society that had up to 20,000 people in the community and they built huge earthen mounds by hauling the dirt by hand in baskets.

Monday evening I met with some members of my high school graduating class.  Like with Bill Boeck last week, I hadn't seen any of them since graduating in 1959.  Although I didn't recognize any of them, as I'm sure they didn't recognize me, it was good to meet them again, find out how their lives had evolved, and talk about some old times and old friends. 

Today, Carolyn and I borrowed my brother's truck and went to the Classic Motorcycle Museum that was started by Dave Mungenast.  He was the first Honda dealer in St. Louis and was also a noted motorcycle racer who competed in several ISDTs and many famous national enduros.  I believe he is in the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame.  The museum was a treasure trove of the bikes of my period, plus many from an earlier time.  I have some pictures here that should be interesting to some of my riding friends back in Washington:

For Ray, who says I am "Bronsoning across the country":





For Orv, and his Penton riding days:



For Fast Eddie; I actually found a Parilla.  I was surprised that it was a jewel-like four stroke:



For Ross: An Earl's fork Greeves:



For Arvid; a whole slew of Huskies:



After the museum we went to lunch at Rigazzi's; one of my hang-outs when I would be home from college.  They were known for good Italian food, but also the 24 oz beers in frosted "fish bowls".  Needless to say, I didn't have one of those.



Last stop was by the old homestead; the house where I grew up:

3 comments:

  1. I remember the old homestead! We went by a couple of years ago I think. Say, did the jacket zipper get fixed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the zipper is fixed. We had to go to three places to find somebody who could replace the zipper pull and not have to take a week to replace the whole zipper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You left out the horses and chickens (along with warm, fresh eggs), but that's okay. It was a great day!

    ReplyDelete