Sunday, October 2, 2011

Pumpotomy

The fuel pump arrived yesterday and I put it in this morning.  Here are some shots of the pumpotomy:

The old fuel pump is removed:



Comparing the old and the new pumps, they look identical even though the parts diagram says the original part has been superseded.  The only difference is the filter on the old one (on the left) is very dirty.  I don't think that was my problem, however, because a dirty filter would restrict flow at high rpm, and would not cut off flow altogether.



The new filter is installed and she's good to go:



That was the good part.  When I woke up this morning Jean informed me that my motorcycle was laying on its side.  This was the sad scene:


Apparently, my brother, on his way to church this morning, backed his pickup truck into my bike and pushed it over.  I had been paranoid about this happening since I arrived, as they have a pretty limited garage apron in which to back their vehicles out and I couldn't find a place to park the bike that was not in their normal range of maneuver, or would not be blocking a doorway to the house.  I know that after 30 years of living in that house, backing out would be done by habit without much thought.  Whenever I was in the car or truck they were backing, I would make a point of reminding whoever was driving about the bike, but this morning I wasn't there. 

So my almost flawless bike now has an owie:

That's a hole punched through the fairing.

But, it could have been a lot worse.  There is no damage that effects the rideability, and duct tape comes to the rescue again.......this time silver to match the fairing somewhat.



3 comments:

  1. OMG, I had to chuckle a bit about the tip over... Your bike does look awesome considering the mileage.
    Hope the fuel pump solves the fuel issue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope Uncle Jim paid the full freight for the duct tape repair!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great facial expression while standing over the tipped bike.
    So were you able to replace the pump with only the tools in your pack?

    ReplyDelete