Monday, September 26, 2011

What a Fine Day!

The weather was perfect, the scenery was spectacular, the curves were sweeping and the Ipod was rocking.  At one point I was riding over Teton Pass on steep downhill sweepers with fall colors on the trees around me, when James Brown's Living in America  started on the Ipod.........it was an overload of goodness.   I've even learned to rock out a little on the bike without.....literally .....crashing the party.  At certain speeds and with music of just the right beat, I can wiggle the handlebars to the rhythm and get the bike to do a little wobble number.  I guess you just have to learn to dance with the partner you've got.  I don't do this if there are cars following me least it create a call to 911.

Shortly after I left Arco this morning I stopped at a roadside information area that explained a lot about
Arco and the submarine conning tower.  There is something like a 900 square mile nuclear testing and construction area nearby.  Arco is the first city to get electrical power from a nuke plant. and the laboratories there were responsible for development of the nuclear Navy.

A lot of my route today and yesterday was along the Oregon Trail and the Snake and Sweetwater rivers.  It's beautiful country but I'm glad I didn't have to do it on foot.  There are a lot of Autumn colors, but I haven't seen any Aspen yet.  Maybe tomorrow.  Here are the pics for the day:

This is the Snake River canyon and I think I was still in Idaho:


I took a road that I hadn't initially planned to ride and it turned out to be one where I would have been better off on my Dual Sport bike.  It was inside Grand Teaton National Park


Picture of the Tetons.  The area was actually quite crowded and there has been a lot more development since I was last there in the 80's.


I came upon fields of some kind of low growing plant that had turned bright gold.  Maybe it was a heather of some kind.  The following picture doesn't do it justice, but you can get a glimpse of it.


Tomorrow I dive down into Colorado.  I have gone over 1100 miles and the bike is running like a champ.

No comments:

Post a Comment