Saturday, September 24, 2011

Day One, Problem 1

I was about 60 miles from my day's destination of John Day, Oregon and riding along fat and happy when the bike quit.  I pulled in the clutch and coasted to a stop.  Then I pressed the starter button and she started right up.  Went a little further on and same thing.  I would have to sit alongside the road for awhile and then it would start and run.  This kept happening, and I wasn't making much progress.  But I think I know what the problem is and I can fix it.......but it will probably  cost me a day.

 I need a new fuel pump.  When the problem first happened it was very warm (about 95 deg) and I was getting low on gas.  I believe the fuel pump, which is mounted to the bottom of the gas tank, has some sort of leak in it that is letting air get into it when the fuel level gets below the crack or leak in the pump.  I think the heat exaggerates the crack or whatever is letting air in.  The reason I think I'm right about this is that as the day cooled the problem happened less often, and when I finally got to a gas station and filled up, it ran like a champ for the next 40 miles. So maybe I can get by if I keep the gas level high, or am lucky to have cool weather, but I think the best plan is to get a new fuel pump.  There is a Kawasaki dealer in Boise, ID, and maybe I can get the part from them.  I assume this is a common part across many models and they may have one in stock.  I do know it is expensive.  It's not that difficult to replace the fuel pump......I could probably do it with the tools in the tool kit, but I'll see what it would cost to have it done.  The problem now is that tomorrow is Sunday and no shops will be open.  I may have to layover for a day in Boise.

As far as the ride today went, it was good.  My friends Orv and Ross rode with me to the lunch stop, and it was good to have them along.  I started riding dirt bikes with these guys shortly after I moved to Washington and they definitely schooled me on riding single track trails through dense forest.  Orv won the Oregon state enduro championship at one time, and Ross knew every rock and root of the local riding trails and it was impossible for me to keep up with him.  We all spent many great times building, riding, and maintaining those trails.  I wish they were along for this ride, but for one reason or another, they didn't feel up to it.

I do have some pictures for the day.  The first is just before I let out the clutch for the start of my journey

This is some of the Old West architecture of Shaniko, Oregon:

And this is one of the Good Roads shortly after:

3 comments:

  1. Man that's bad news Gerry. It looks like the fuel pump isn't too hard to change, but it appears to be around the $300 range...Ouch! Don't forget the O-ring that seals the pump to the tank!
    BTW, This site tells you how to test the fuel pump for pressure and flow, but you'll need a gauge to do it so it's probably not worth the trouble... http://www.ehow.com/how_8377158_test-pump-kawasaki-ninja-zx6r.html
    At 70K miles it's probably reasonable to expect to have to replace a fuel pump I guess. Hope you can get another one in a decent time frame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tough first day. It must be the test of "How bad do you really want to do this?" Enjoy the challenge. I'm looking forward to seeing more Good Roads. Liked the picture of the one you already found.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are going to have to tell us about the "tool kit"! I can't imagine carrying the kind of things you would need to change a fuel pump. Holy heck! What a first day! At least there was one GOOD ROAD judging from that picture. This is fun!

    ReplyDelete