Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Covering all the weather bases

Its hard to believe that four days ago I was riding in 100 degree heat.  Today was borderline cold, with temps down to the mid 40's, and high winds (predicted to be 40mph). So I have had heat, cold, rain, and wind.   The front that I rode through yesterday left some fresh snow on the mountains:



I passed through some pretty country that I hadn't seen before, though.  The section of highway 20 leading to Stanley, Idaho was particularly nice as the road travels along the Salmon river canyon.  Then when I got to Stanley, there were views of the Sawtooth mountains:



As I got closer to my destination for the day, Lowman, Id, I got higher and got into some clouds and slight drizzle.  I don't think I have been below 5000 feet since I entered Yellowstone park three days ago.  However, the place where I am staying had a feature that made everything fine:


A little store that sold individual beers and snacks to go with the hot tub. 

It's called the Sourdough Lodge, and it ain't fancy:



It also has no cell phone service or WiFi in the room.  I am writing this blog from the lodge restaurant. 

I may be developing some sort of electrical issues.  I have a voltmeter type of device I installed on the bike that shows the battery status.  It is a light that shows green when the battery is being charged and then yellow and red when the battery voltage is low or not being charged.  Today it would not stay green unless I had a lot of revs.  It caused me to shut off my heated vest when I wanted it on.  However, this evening I discovered I have at some time switched the high beam on, which adds another bulb and about the same wattage drain as the vest.  I'm  going to try disconnecting the low beam bulb, which is on all the time and see how it goes.  I would really like to have my heated grips and especially the vest since the temps tomorrow morning are supposed to be in the 30's.  I can always switch the high beam on temporarily if I want to make sure I am more visible to an oncoming car or one that might pull out in front of me.  The battery on the bike is the original, and is almost 7 years old and 98,000 miles, which is far beyond what my experience has been with motorcycle batteries. 

1 comment: