Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Windows Fitted (at last!)

I don't want to admit how many hours I have spent getting the side windows in and properly gapped.   I actually still have a little work to do on the driver's side door.  In my last post I mentioned that I discovered the window regulator was worn out and I had to get a new one.  I did that, but in the process of removing all the parts to start over, I had to remove the widow "fuzzies".  Those are the fuzzy strips that line the window opening at the top of the door.  They are a one-shot deal.  They can be put in once, but if they are taken out, it ruins them for re-installation.  So I am waiting for Brian to bring down another set. 

Here is a picture of the window parts that go into the passenger side door.  I don't know if I could have ever figured out where they go had I not found a posting on the Vintage Mustang forum where a guy had cut off the OUTSIDE door panel and taken pictures of how everything was attached to the inside and what they looked like at various stages of the window being rolled up and down:


All these parts have to be installed either through the slot in the top of the door, or through a few relatively small holes in the inside panel........and they MUST be installed in the right order!

Then, once they are installed, the fun begins.  The gap between the vent window and the roof (1),  between the top of the door window and the roof (2), between the quarter window and the door window (3), and between the quarter window and the roof (4), must all be adjusted so that it all fits.  A change in one gap usually effects a change somewhere else, too. 


The three windows also must be adjusted so that they fit up against the weather strip along the roof line.  This is made possible by adjustments that tilt the windows inward or outward at the top. 

Here is the passenger side:



Brian is coming down Thursday and Friday and bringing parts he got for Christmas, so we will be doing some work with those.  

1 comment:

  1. It's the worlds BIGGEST PUZZLE. I'm highly impressed at the level of patience you have with the metal hulk!

    ReplyDelete