Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Error

I guess it wasn't so  obvious after all.  Or maybe nobody cared.  Anyway, here is the error:


The brake bleeding nipple is at the bottom of the caliper, not the top where it has to be to get air bubbles (which rise) out of the system.  This means the calipers have been switched and this one should be on the other wheel.  In my defense, I didn't do it; the paint and body shop put the brakes on, and even though I had to take them off again, I did one wheel at a time so I didn't swap them. 

I guess the reason why this mistake was so obvious to me was that one time when Brian and I did a brake job on one of his vehicles we switched the calipers and didn't catch it.  It was impossible to bleed the brakes even though we tried for hours.  He had to take it to a shop where they pointed out the problem.  I was pretty embarrassed. 

2 comments:

  1. Dad, it all looks like ENGINE to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason I still never get an email when you post new stuff on here.... I just wander on and check it once and a while.
    Good catch on the bleeder screw... If you want to use my vacuum-pump bleeder when you're ready to bleed them let me know. It's make it a ton easier, especially when you're dealing with a new system that has lots of air in it.

    ReplyDelete