Monday, June 14, 2021

Two years in planning, ride changed at last moment

Last year I had planned a five-day ride with Jenny where we would ride from her house to Porterville, California and then ride loops from the Air B&B there.  Covid trashed that.  So I planned to try it again this year and had reservations at the same place for June 16th to June 20th.  I figured mid June would be a time of reasonable temperatures and not much chance of fires in Southern California.......wrong!  There is a heat wave predicted for just the days we will be riding, with high temps between 99 and 110 degrees.  Even in the higher elevations that we would be riding, like Lake Isabella, the high was to be 100.  

There is no fun in riding a motorcycle in those kinds of temps, even with vented gear and evaporative cooling vests.  I reluctantly cancelled my reservation and forfeited all but the cleaning deposit on the Air B&B.  

But I have a new plan, and I'm getting pretty excited about it.  Jenny and I are going to do one of my favorite day rides around San Francisco, the Lick Observatory loop. We did this in 2017 and I reported it in this post: https://thegoodroads.blogspot.com/search?q=observatory.  This will be our day ride on Wednesday, and on Thursday we plan to ride up hwy 1 all the way to Leggett and then back to stay overnight in Fort Bragg.  Jenny has not ridden the northern portion of hwy 1, from the coast inland to Leggett, and it is absolutely one of the neatest roads I've ridden......right up there with the Tail of the Dragon.  I've done it many times, with the first being in the early 80's, and I never get tired of it.  It will be fun to show it to Jenny.  When we leave Fort Bragg, we will head back to SF and take some of the roads that cross between hwy 1 and hwy 101.  These are really good also.  And to add to the goodness, the temps are predicted to be between low 60's to mid 70's.......perfect riding weather.  











No comments:

Post a Comment