Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Longest stretch of Curves I have ever ridden

 Jenny and I rode 220 miles today and a lot of it was freeway and hot, but there were over 60 miles of the most unbelievable curvy road that made it all worthwhile.......even hauling the bike down from home on the trailer.  The last time we rode it, the only fly in the ointment was that the pavement going up to the observatory was pretty bumpy and getting broken up.  But this time, what a pleasant surprise.  The road had been completely repaved!  Nice fresh smooth stuff, too.  The road down the other side of the mountain had not been repaved and it was now the bumpy part, but not too bad to have a good time.  And to top it off, there was essentially no traffic........actually probably more bicycles than cars.  There were some spots that would have made a great picture, where you could look down the mountain and see the road and just how curvy it was, but there were few level spots to turn off to take a picture.  I did take some, though, and here they are: 


Ready to go.  Jenny's son Jonas' new car behind her.  He is just learning to drive and it is a stick shift, which is pretty challenging in San Francisco.  Those of you familiar with my bike my notice that the Laminar Lip windscreen extension is gone.  I took it off when I thought we would be riding in a lot of heat and I wanted to get the most airflow I could through my jacket.  It helped in the heat today and think I will leave it off for summer riding.

 

I did manage to get one good picture of Jen.  It also gives a good idea of the pavement quality.  She , was a little timid at first as she has not had a chance to ride much, but towards the end of the 60 miles of curves she was getting with the program and feeling more comfortable and faster.  

This was taken on the road down the back side of the mountain on the older pavement.  You can just get a peek of the observatory dome in the back.  We stopped to take out jacket liners because it was beginning to get hot.

Tomorrow we are going to head up highway 1 and it should be a lot cooler.  Looking forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment