Sunday, September 29, 2019

Loop out of Summersville

Today I did a 244 mile loop out and back to the motel.  I planned several of the routes on this trip using this website: http://www.motorcycleroads.com/best/?c=124.  This particular loop uses routes numbered 9 and 15.  Tomorrow I will use some of number 10, and we have already done route 3. 

It was supposed to be another hot day, but I still took along my long sleeve riding shirt that I wear under my jacket in cooler weather.  It's a good thing I did because the first half of the loop went through the Monongahela National Forest and I got up to almost 5,000 feet altitude.  It was downright chilly.  The road wasn't particularly curvy, but the scenery was great.  Here is a pic of the typical road appearance: 


After I got up to the top there were some scenic overlooks:



It was even turning a little autumn-like:


Later, when I was back down at around 2,000 feet it began to warm up but was still pleasant.  I came upon this interesting old house:


When I walked around the back to "take a break" I came upon this:


This is a 80's era Honda CX500.  There is an old friend of mine who reads this blog and he and I did many great rides together while he was riding one of these.  Good times, those.

The loop was basically 100 miles north through the scenic part and then 100 mile back through the curvy part.  And the curvy part was great.  I went many miles without coming on a car headed in my direction, so I could get the best out of the curves. 

I got back around 3 pm and found that Carolyn had not visited the Civil War battlefield, so we did that.  The museum was closed for the season, but this sign explains it:


We found a trail and took an opportunity to get in our 6,000 steps for the day on a 2 mile walk:


The trail also had some scenic overlooks:


We walked through hardwood forest and I was drooling over the white oak that I would love to be able to use in my woodworking.


There were also some woods rats in the park.  These are a white-tailed variety that are different from ours in Washington.  Glad to see him in the park and not on the road.  I saw some statistics that showed West Virginia was the worst state for deer strikes, but I haven't seen any on the road yet. 


Tomorrow we head north to Ohio and will ride another on of the recommended roads on the way there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment