Friday, September 27, 2019

I've got riding partners!

When we got to my nephew Mark's house in Greenville KY to unload the bike I found out that he and his son Jon planned to ride with me on the first day.  I had invited them along, but when I didn't hear from them after I sent my route I figured they didn't want to do it.  Not so.  In fact, Jon even rented a bike for the ride.  Here is a pic of Mark and I getting ready to ride over to Jon's house in Bowling Green:


When we got to Jon's house we discovered he had rented an Indian Scout.  Quite a mix of bikes for this ride.


It was a long day......370 miles and almost 12 hours, but the roads were good and the countryside was pretty.  Then, about 20 miles from the motel we hit the really good stuff and it made the whole trip worthwhile just for that one section.  This shot of my GPS gives you and idea of what I mean:


We arrived at the motel pretty tired and I was ready for my post-ride beer:


We had a late dinner and lots to talk about, so the blog is going to be sort of abbreviated today.  I did take this picture of the "plant that ate the South"; Kudzu.  It's an invasive plant that is almost impossible to kill and it taking over large areas.


I can also show a picture of the result of a little problem I created myself when I left the bolts holding the spare tire extended into the rail where the front tire stops.  I did this in an attempt to keep the tire from cocking sideways, but the bolts ended up chewing into the tire:


It's kind of ugly but is not a problem because the cuts aren't deep enough to get to the tire cord.  I rode all day today on it with no problem. 

Tomorrow Mark and Jon ride back to their homes and Carolyn and I continue on my route.  We are going to be in West Virginia and the good stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment