Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Transit Day

Today was about getting from point A to Point B.  Point B being Susanville California where I am now.  Not much in the way of twisty bits, and it was still a bit cool, but sunny.  I think one of the reasons it was cool is that between John Day and here I was always above 4000 ft altitude.  And it wasn't mountainous, either........just high level sagebrush country.  It didn't look high and if it was not for my GPS I would have thought I was more like sea level.

I did pass by one place that brought back memories.  In the little town of Seneca there was at one time a lodge that catered to motorcyclists and only motorcyclists.  I had read about it on some website and happened by there on one of my trips.  I stopped in but it was too early in the day to stay for the night.  I did talk to a woman who was one of the owners and she showed me around.  Some time later Carolyn and I were on a trip in the Miata and decided to give it a try.  This time we talked to the husband of the woman I had talked to and he wasn't gong to let us stay because we were in a car.  I mentioned that I had stopped by earlier on a motorcycle trip and he said that was the magic word, so we could stay.  It was an interesting evening.  I must say the guy was the most self-centered, egotistical, person I have ever met.  He could be entertaining, but you had to be totally subservient to whatever he had to say or wanted you to do.  He was also a musician and singer, so we had to be entertained and convinced to buy one of his CDs.  Later I read some horror stories by people who had been told to leave because they didn't conform to what he wanted out of the guests.

The place was originally a lodge for workers at a local lumber mill.  The motorcycle lodge was called the Bearcat Lodge.  It hasn't been operational for several years.  This is what it looks like today:


It is currently being used by some forestry outfit:


One of the things I forgot to mention about my ride yesterday was that I came very close to running out of gas.  I went from home to Fossil, Oregon without getting gas and when I did put gas in it at Fossil, I put 4.0 gallons in my 4.1 gallon tank.  I thought I was going to be doing some walking.

Well, tomorrow I start on one of the routes that I put in my GPS based on what I discovered in the Butler map.  I'm a little concerned about snow, or snowmelt on the roads up high, because  could see snow on the mountains on the way to Susanville.


No comments:

Post a Comment