Monday, July 18, 2016

Getting Ready......New Tire

The original rear tire that came on the bike would not make the PNW Grand Tour.  It is almost worn to the wear bars as can be seen in this photo:



I could maybe get another 500 miles or so out of it, but not the 2400 miles I'm going to ride before I return to Woodland.  So, after removing the wheel from the bike, I put it on my tire changing tool to break the bead:



Then pry the tire off the wheel:

First Side Off


Tire Off Wheel

I took a picture of  the new tire back on the wheel, but it was blurry, so here is the wheel on my balancer jig: 



And the wheel back on the bike:


Jenny found a guy in San Francisco who can change a tire, including removing and re mounting the wheel on the bike, in 20 minutes.  It took me that long to get the wheel off, and the total job of changing the tire and re mounting the wheel to the bike took just over two hours.  Oh well, I'm retired, right?  I should have all the time in the world, but still, I think changing tires is a bit of a hassle.

The front tire is not as worn, which is normal, so I'm thinking it can at least get me back to Woodland where I can mount a new one I have waiting, if I need to.

2 comments: