Saturday, September 22, 2012

Back on the long ride

One year ago, almost to this date, I started on my Grand Tour.  Today I retraced the first day of that ride for most of the day on the beginning of a seven day ride to Northern California.  This time I was not alone, but riding with Big Mike, who is the one who actually planned the ride.  I also started the day with Ross and Orv, but they turned back after the lunch stop in Maupin, OR.  Here is a pic of all of us together at lunch:



Mike and I continued on and after passing through Spray we got into the section where I had problems with my bike last year.  It brought back some memories of anxious times, but the temps were not as hot as last year and the riding was fine.  My bike has almost 10,000 more miles than it did then and it is running like a champ. 

Shortly before we got to John Day, we took a road that was new to me.  It sort of cut the corner between hwy 26 and 395 and was one of those almost single lane roads through the forest that meets the criteria for being a Good Road.  You can't hurry, but it's nice scenic, relaxing riding. Here is a pic:


We stopped to take a break here:


There is probably some interesting history involved with the naming of this place.

However, it also had a Forest Service cabin that Mike thought was one of those you could rent.  It was a cute little place:


It was locked, but I took these pictures through the windows:



Tonight we are staying in Burns.  We passed through Seneca and the Bearcat Lodge on the way, but it looked empty and was for sale.  Some strange memories of that place.

381 miles today.  Tomorrow should find us in Hat Creek, CA in preparation for entering Lassen National Park. 




No comments:

Post a Comment