Saturday, August 6, 2011

Herd of Kaws

For several reasons I usually end up with a Kawasaki motorcycle.  I used to ride almost exclusively Yamahas, but after 1981 every bike except two (a 1983 Honda XR350 and a 1986 Yamaha IT200) have been Kawasakis.  Oh, wait, I also had a 1982 Suzuki GS 650, but I had two wrecks on it and gave it away as an unlucky SOB.  But, back to the Kawasakis; I think the KZ 550 got me sold on Kawis because it was so reliable, cheap, and easy to maintain.  Of course, it also handled well and looked good.  Kawasaki electrics, especially, seem to be bulletproof.  The KZ 550 had all the original electrical components on it when I sold it except for the ignition coils, and they weren't bad, but I thought they were when the real problem was the points had closed up. 

If Kawasakis have a weakness it is in their fit and finish.  Compared to, say a Honda or BMW, they have some cheap parts and some ill-fitting body panels.  I can live with that. 

Below is a picture of me with my herd of Kawasakis that was taken last winter after I had bought the KLX but not yet sold the KDX 220 dirt bike. The little KDX 50 that I am holding was bought for the grandkids.  Three of them have learned to ride on it so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment