Saturday, July 30, 2011

Truck'n The Good Roads

I have seen such beautiful sights on the roads I've been riding on my KLX, that I had to take Carolyn to see some of them.  Yesterday was her birthday, so we spent the day together driving the back roads over towards Carson.  The following pics were taken within 30 miles of our house.


This is our 1987 Toyota pickup with 175,000 miles.  I bought it used in 1988 with money I got from a motorcycle accident settlement.  That's Mt Hood in Oregon in the background.

Driving the roads I have been riding on the KLX sure made me appreciate the motorcycle.  At any level spot in the roads there are potholes, some of them very big and deep.  On the bike, I could either avoid them because of my narrow single track, or if I couldn't avoid, I could sort of float over them by standing on the pegs and gassing it.  In the truck it was crash, bang and 10 miles per hour.



This picture is looking north and you can see all of the major mountains in Southern and Central Washington.  Mt St. Helens is on the left with its missing top, Mt. Ranier is in the center and is probably 100 miles away, and Mt. Adams is on the right.  If you click on these pictures it enlarges them.


Some of the wildflowers and Mt. St. Helens.


Another view of Mt. Hood.  There are forest roads all over this area.


Carolyn among the wildflowers.

This is an interesting plant.  Its called Bear Grass, and this is the flower of it.  The grassy part is often harvested by people who get permits to do so from the Forest Service or the state Dept. of Natural Resources (DNR).  When I used to ride my dirt bike or work on the local trails, we would sometimes come on these people out in the middle of nowhere gathering this grass in large bundles.  I believe they sell it to be made into hats, mats, and baskets in Southeast Asia, and also perhaps as ornamental touches in floral arrangements.  It only grows at a relatively high altitude.  Carolyn has tried transplanting it to her garden, but it didn't survive.


This is the same snowbank that we barely got our motorcycles around in the previous post.  In only three days it melted enough to get the truck by.


Little bunny in the road

No comments:

Post a Comment