Thursday, September 28, 2017

Returning the Bike

After Jenny flew home, I started working on her bike.  First task was mounting and balancing a new rear tire.  I've done three tire changes in the past month and they have all gone exceedingly well.  I attribute this to using an actual tire lube designed for the job rather than soapy water.   Here I am static balancing the wheel.  Just after this picture was taken I added the sprocket back on the wheel as it is part of the rotating mass. 


I also changed the oil and filter, but the big job was a repair of the paint on the forks.  For some reason it had blistered as if she had ridden through some acid, and the two days of rain had completely removed the bad paint.



 I decided the best way to repaint the forks was to first remove them:


Since the clip on bars are attached to the forks, they had to be removed also:


At first I thought about hanging the fork legs from a wire for painting them, but then decided to make this rig.......woodworking tools to the rescue:


The final result looks pretty good.  I hope it can withstand the rigors of San Francisco streets.  The bike should be in good shape for Jen to ride with no problems.   


The bike is now loaded in the truck for the trip back to Jenny's house.  We plan to take two days this trip as the 700 miles in one day in the truck is a bit too much. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for being such an awesome mechanic and always making sure my ride is safe. I appreciate all your hard work! Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow... and to getting back on the bike! :)

    ReplyDelete