Thursday, May 5, 2016

A Brace of Bonnies

Orv came by today on his Triumph and we decided to go for a "reliability run" on our Bonnevilles.  We are planning to go to a vintage bike meet and ride down in Corvalis, Oregon on the 21st and 22nd of this month, and even though we are going to trailer the bikes down there, they need to go the distance on the vintage bike ride.  So we decided to go to lunch in Cougar, which is about 20 miles from my house.  Everything was going well, and I was pleasantly surprised again by how well the Triumph handles in the curves.  Then, a problem.........my headlight fell out of the headlight shell.  Not a big problem since the wires kept the light attached to the bike and it did not destroy itself on the road.  All I needed was a screwdriver to put the headlight back in the shell, but I didn't have a single tool.  Fortunately, Orv did, and here he is after the repair putting his tool kit back on his bike:



Pretty dumb of me to ride an old Brit bike and not carry a tool kit.  It doesn't take many to do most work on the bike, but they will be needed.

Here are the bike in the restaurant parking lot; my bike in the foreground:


After lunch we decided to ride the long way back through Woodland, and had no further problems.  After Woodland, and on the way back to my house, we switched bikes to see just how similar they are.....and they are.  I felt that his was a little smoother and he felt that mine was a little "tighter" and stiffer, like a newer bike.  Power was essentially the same for both of them.

We took a break at the Cedar Creek gristmill and then parted ways.  Total ride distance was about 50 miles, the longest ride I have made on the Bonneville.



No comments:

Post a Comment