Thursday, January 22, 2015

It's ALIVE!

Before I share this video, I would like to apologize to some of my dear readers.  I have learned through back-channel sources (Facebook!) that some of you don't know what the heck I've been talking about in my last few posts.  But I know from other back-channel sources (emails) that others know exactly what I'm talking about.  Strangely, the split seems to be gender oriented.  I may try to be less technical in the future, or I may not......after all, it's my blog. 

The video below should be easy to understand.  To my great relief, the Mustang motor runs in the car with the new distributor and all the other bits that go along with it.  The squeal you hear at the beginning is a loose fan belt and I have fixed that. 
Notice how smooth it runs at idle.....no shaking at all.....a good engine balance and build.

There are still some critical things to do.......get an exhaust system built, final timing of the new distributor by the engine builder, and wheel alignment.  And the shift lever boot for the console.  And the radiator.  I can't run the engine for very long without coolant, and want to be able to run it longer to check out things like the alternator and voltage regulator, oil pressure and temperature sensor gauges, and the cooling system, radio, heater, defroster, etc.  (I did see that the fuel gauge works, and that I have no fuel leaks). 
 
All these things are necessary to see how it runs, but eventually we need to see how it drives.  How will the disk brakes work?  What will it be like with no power steering.  What is the handling like on this old style suspension and steering?  I remember it being a perfectly fine car back when I first owned it, but that was a long time ago and cars have changed a lot since then. 
 
But tonight I am a very happy man because the engine runs.  
 

2 comments: