Monday, April 8, 2013

Under dash wiring

As I mentioned in the previous post, Brian brought down a wiring harness for the instrument panel and dash switches and lights.  We had a stretch of good weather, so I haven't been working on the car much, but the last few days have been rainy, so I got to work on the harness.  The first job is to identify each of the leads as to what it's function is and what it connects to.  For this, I had the following publication:


Inside are schematics with drawings of the various knobs, switches and gauges.  This defines the connections for the color coded wires:



So, after I figure out what a wire is for, I tag it and move on to the next.  After three or so afternoons I have tagged all but two or three leads:


It seems like a fairly straight forward job, but it has been a giant puzzle.  Part of the problem is that some of the leads are not used and it took me awhile to figure that out.   There are some options that the car doesn't have, like a clock and rear courtesy lights, for example.  Another problem is that we have changed to a 1966 model instrument cluster that has gauges rather than idiot lights, and even though we bought the 66 wiring harness, there are other changes in the 66 models (windshield washer, for example) that cause the harness to be different from the publication.  Edit: It's actually a 1965 GT wiring harness. 

After I get all this figured out, the next challenge will be to fit the harness behind the dash.  I hope I don't have to remove some of the stuff that I have worked so hard installing, like the pedals, parking brake, and fresh air vent. 



No comments:

Post a Comment