Monday, March 11, 2013

Finally, a riding post

Spring is not far off, and we have had some nice weather.  Mike called for a ride to Astoria to eat the famous Albacore Tuna fish and chips at the Bow Picker.  No way was Carolyn going to miss that, so we rode double over there and took some "good roads" back.  Here are some pics from the day:



The "restaurant" is a walk-up converted fishing boat.  The type of fishing they did with it was off the bow, rather than stern trolling, thus the moniker "bow picker".   At one time there was a whole fleet of them in Astoria, but no more.  Anyway, it has fish and chips to die for, and unfortunately, it is well known.  At no time when we have gone there has there not been a line of people.  The only things lacking are indoor places to sit and beer, but we make do. 


They have a couple of picnic tables around the place and it was warm enough with our riding gear on (for Carolyn and I), to enjoy the outdoor dining.  Mike's daughter Amanda rode along with him and Mike enjoyed his first street ride since late last year. 

Before we headed back, we stopped at the Astoria Column.  Amanda had never been there, and she and I climbed the many steps to the top.




 The views from up there on this perfectly clear day were fantastic!





On the way back we took scenic and curvy roads and stopped for a late' in the little burg of Birkenfeld.  It was a real kick-back ride, but the kind Carolyn and I excel at. 



However, with the late start because of the cold morning, and the dawdling around, it ended up getting late and cool by the time we got home.  A hot bath in the jet tub was a perfect end to the 216 mile day. 

It has not been full stop on the car, though.  Brian and Colin were down last weekend, but since they didn't arrive until late Saturday, what we mostly accomplished was a trip to Del Pro on Sunday to buy parts.  We took a break from what little work we did to do a little target shooting. 


Colin is fascinated with guns and I think it best that he learns to become familiar with them and learn to handle then in a responsible way.  And anyway, it won't be too long before the gov'ment yanks them away from my cold dead hands (ha ha).   I bought the rifle he is shooting with my own money when I was 14 years old,  just a little older than Colin.  When I was in college I used to leave my dorm early on a weekend morning and walk across campus with the rifle slung over my shoulder to go hunting in the surrounding farmland.  Times have sure changed. 

But, I digress.  Remember the seat belt retractor that I was not happy with because it was too far from the car body?  I made my own bracket that placed it where I think I want it, but I will not be sure until the carpet pad, carpet, and rear seat are installed. 



Before


After

Brian and I also put in a new parking brake cable and clutch actuating mechanism.  The zip lock bag contains parts that will be attached to the engine, when we get one. 


Also, a turn signal switch:




No comments:

Post a Comment