Friday, August 30, 2013

Another Potential Rider?

Daughter Jenny has expressed some interest in learning to ride and getting her own bike.  During a recent visit by her and the grand-kids we got a chance to give her a taste of what it's like to ride.  I don't have a motorcycle that is really her size to learn on, but the kid's XR 70 is easy to ride (no clutch), and pretty un-intimidating. First some basic instructions:



Then she is on her way:



She likes it!



Then a couple of days later I got a chance to introduce her to road riding, as a passenger.  We rode the street bike up to Mt St Helens while Carolyn took the kids in the van.  Jen and I got a head start because we took all the back roads:




I thought that by the time we got up to the Johnston Ridge visitor center she would have had enough and would opt to ride back in the van, but no, she wanted to ride back too.  Here we are getting ready to leave the parking lot::



It was riding at it's best: good weather, Good Roads, and a safe ride.  The helmet intercom didn't work for awhile and it made me realize how much it helps to make rider and passenger feel less isolated from one another.  Once it started working we yakked away.

The next step for Jen is to take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course, which is taught quite often in her home town of San Francisco.












1 comment:

  1. Hey Gerry! Thanks so much for teaching me to ride the 70 and for taking me on the road ride to Mt. St. Helen's. I guess being around your affinity for motorcycles has finally worn off on me a little bit. I'm planning on taking the Motorcycle Safety Course in October (before the rainy season starts). Just waiting for the reservation to open so I can sign up. Good Roads are ahead!

    ReplyDelete